Monday, May 16

The Adventure

 Today was a small adventure; the adventure of a retarded artist, in a car. Not an exciting or epic tale worth telling, but I'm gonna tell you anyway, since this blog never was about anything of interest.

Well, started off good this morning by waking up fairly rested. I went with my father to his job to pick up a car he just bought and drive it to a check-up to see if it's good enough to drive on the roads or not. I'm terrible at finding my way by car, I have a good sense of direction normally, but that doesn't help when the roads go a little as they please.

I had a map an pretty thorough directions, but by the time it was driving time, I was already tired and had a headache. But off I went, and it started out good, but soon turned bad as I started to follow the road signs and somehow (that I still don't quite comprehend) I ended up on an entirely different road. I had to take a big detour, with my father on the phone to guide me, but it went pretty smoothly, though I later on thought I had driven wrong, but I hadn't so I got instructed via phone the rest of the way.

Once at the car-inspection, I made a complete fool out of myself and I started to wonder where my sign was. And wrote "Stupid (this is my official sign)" on the back of my map. What I did was - note that I've never done this kind of thing before - I first off missed the giant sign saying what I was supposed to do and where I was supposed to park, being one hour early I didn't wanna pull up in front of the car ports, but I saw the huge "sign in here" sign and a parking lot over to the left of the building with a P-sign. So I parked there, neatly and orderly, and went in to tell the computerized system that I was there. Of course, I'm once again completely blind and mindless.

The point screen computer was directly to the left of the door, so I only sa a huge white thing in the corner of my eye, assumed it a closet or locker, and then there only was an office door, a toilet and one door on each side of the room to the workshops. A man walks through into the big workshop and I follow, thinking it might be a reception in there.

So I stumble into the big hall, looking lost, blond and very stupidly I ask where that check-in computer is. The youngest of them (probably only a year or two older than me) show me the computer, which I now see has very big letters on it saying "Register your arrival here". He asks me if my car is the Audi standing outside (a car arriving after me, it was completely vacant when I got there, hence a lot of my confusion; no crowd to follow/observe/learn from) and I tell him I parked on the side since I'm so early. He gives me a funny look then tells me to park in front of the ports and wait for my licence plate's numbers to appear on the screen (a screen I also completely failed to notice) and I reassure through some questions that I won't be in the way.

On the way back to my car, as I pass the P-sign, I see that it has a sign under it saying "Employees" and it dawns on me why he gave me the funny look. While I drive to the ports, I notice the big very pedagogic sign that was straight in front of me when I turned into the lot. Now I'm feeling really embarrassed - which is something I rarely do since I rarely act this stupidly - and it's here I write the Stupid-sign.

I wish I could say that the adventure ends there, but it doesn't. The car passed through, with flying colours I believe, and I'm going to drive the same way back that I came from. Of course I drive wrong here too. There's a road merging with the one I was driving on, making it look like a crossing with a road to the right. The road turns to the right and I was supposed to turn with it, but I just drove straight. So once again daddy comes to the rescue by phone and I find my way back to where I'm supposed to recognize where I am. Of course I misread the signs and drive wrong... AGAIN. But now I kinda know where I am and follow the road signs to a road I know inside and out, but it wasn't that one of the two roads I know inside and out I was supposed to get on. But all roads lead to Rome, right?

And for you in horror and shock about me being on the road; don't be. My driving is fine, it's almost on instinct. But being as tired as I was today, driving well was all I could do. Driving well AND read directions, not so much.

And wasn't it just my luck that the same guy showing the the automatic sign-in thing checked the car. All of my credibility was right down the dump (blond stupid girl with perhaps a rich dad since I was driving a Mercedes-Benz, who knows nothing about cars) so I didn't get to know more than "That's good" and "This is ok". But he looked a bit pleasantly surprised when he saw how well-kept the underside of the car was. I also surprised him with knowing what a catalyst (emission control device) was.

Now I just gotta patch my dad up after the whole burden of having a destinationally challenged child. He seems fine about it, but I said I'd have to be a complete retard not to find my way, in the morning.


About the weekend? I'll take that tomorrow.
Now: bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment